Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Grantland.com

I have a love/hate relationship with ESPN these days. I get tired of theirs as the lone voice in sports broadcasting. However, to keep up on sports, ESPN.com and Sportscenter are unavoidable. Now the juggernaut has managed to co-opt some of my favorite writers - Bill Simmons, Chuck Klosterman, Malcolm Gladwell - in a new website called Grantland.com. You won't find an ESPN logo on the site. However, don't be fooled; check the footer and you'll find "ESPN Internet Ventures".

Still, I'm excited about a website where I can find these and other great writers lending their opinion on the metaphorical implications of sport. Klosterman already has three articles posted to the site dealing with such topics as the NBA timeout rule that places the ball at half-court, why watching a DVR-ed sporting event is so unfulfilling, and a North Dakota junior college basketball game. Strange topics I'll admit, however, if you know Klosterman, the most mundane topics take on new life in his hands. If you are an intellectual who enjoys sports, Grantland.com is the place for you.

- Joel

Chuck Klosterman - "Space, Time, and DVR Mechanics"

No comments: