Sunday, July 6, 2008

Joseph La Piana

This past week I heard about an artist from New York named Joseph La Piana.  I went to his website and really loved his work.  He's a painter, sculptor, photographer, and 3D artist (he makes mobiles).  Most of his work is abstract but still really cool.  I love the way he uses color in his work.  A lot of his photography focuses on reflections off of water.  He calls his style of painting "kinetic blow painting."  It is similar to Jackson Pollock's action painting in that the emphasis is putting paint on the canvas in an unorthodox manner.  La Piana uses his own breath to manipulate the paint.  Take a look below.  As I'm typing this, I'm realizing how difficult it is for me to speak about art with intelligence.  I guess all I really know to say is, "Hey look at this.  It's really cool."  Oh well.  

- Joel

La Piana's website - www.josephlapiana.com

Central Park Pond

Untitled 2004

Untitled 2007

No comments: