Thursday, September 18, 2008

Taking a Trip

© Allison V. Smith
I'm flying to Kansas City this evening. My reading material for the trip will be On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I have read the book once but picked it up again after reading Kerouac's introduction to The Americans, Robert Frank's seminal collection of photography. But I had a thought as I was preparing for my trip. With the price of gas, the pace of life, and the relative ease of airline travel, is the quintessential road trip dying off? I know more friends who have taken cross-country trips on their bicycle in the past few years than friends who have embarked on road trips across the country (or even across regions of the country).

- Joel
P.S. Since first seeing it, the picture above (by Allison V. Smith) is what now pops into my head every time I think of road trips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we need a joint post for this weekend, including a some pictures of said adventures.

Anonymous said...

Wow…. I too love to read books while traveling.