Friday, September 16, 2011

Happy Birthday UT

© Casey Dunn
Yesterday the University of Texas at Austin turned 128 years old. That's pretty old. Austin photographer Casey Dunn took the photograph above as part of a book on the history of the university. The building in the photograph is called the Main Building - clever name.

UT turned 128 which means it was founded in 1883. I wondered how that compared to the universities where I grew up (Kansas and Missouri), so to Wikipedia I went. I was surprised to learn that the University of Missouri was founded in 1839 and was the very first public institution of higher education west of the Mississippi River. The University of Kansas is pretty old too - founded in 1865, four years after the state was admitted to the Union.

Happy Birthday UT. And congratulations for being older and wiser KU and MU.

- Joel

3 comments:

Cassie said...

we are such a young state. We were fighting for independence from Mexico when your college was founded. Pretty crazy.

Joel said...

I love history like that. I still need to borrow "Texas" from you.

Mom said...

UT is exactly 100 years older than you!