Monday, September 13, 2010

Global Orphan Project

© Joel Thomason
Two years ago I had the opportunity to accompany a team of dentists/hygienists, my mom being one, to the Dominican Republic on a medical mission trip. That trip still remains the only time I have traveled beyond America's borders (photos above and below). The week spent in the D.R. profoundly impacted my conceptions of wealth, contentment, kindness, and love. How could people with so little (in comparison to everyday Americans) be so cheerful? I returned from the Dominican wondering if the possessions I surround myself with actually make me less happy.

I've been given the opportunity to return to the same island, this time on the Haitian side. I will be traveling to Haiti to serve on a trip organized by the Global Orphan Project, an organization that "catalyzes care for orphaned and abandoned children living in extreme poverty". In mid-November, I will be spending five days in the city of Port au Prince working construction, and assisting in a variety of other ways, to improve existing orphanages operated by the Global Orphan Project. I can't wait!

By the way, if you'd like to help out financially, I'm not too proud to accept your charity. I'll need to raise (or personally fund) about $1100 between now and November. Drop me an email if you'd like to help out.

- Joel

© Joel Thomason

© Joel Thomason

© Joel Thomason

No comments: