Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Heat and The Beats


My ears will be dedicated to rap music this summer.  This week I bought two albums:  Lil Wayne's Tha Carter III and Kidz in Hall's The In Crowd.  Including The Cool Kids' The Bake Sale EP, I have a lot of music to work through over the next few weeks.  At this point, I don't see any other summer releases that will demand my attention like these three albums.  Next week Coldplay's album drops.  The week after Sigur Ros drops an album.  I will probably buy both but don't expect to dedicate any time to them.  

Here are my initial thoughts of Tha Carter III.  I really like it.  It has taken me a long time to get used to Lil Wayne's strange lyrics and scratchy delivery, but I think I'm finally there.  This album seems like something that will really grow on you (and me) as you continue to listen to it.  To be fair, there are some atrocious tracks, like "Got Money" with T-Pain.  But the album is also a lot deeper than just the Top 40 fave "Lollipop."  Right now "Mr. Carter" featuring Jay-Z is my favorite track, but I haven't really made it through the whole album yet.  There are probably a lot of people who will hate on this album.  The amount of time it took to put out the album and the number of times Lil Wayne pushed back the release date created expectations of a legendary release.  It's not legendary, but it's still really good.  

Another track to check out is "Drivin' Down the Block" by Kidz In The Hall.  Actually the remix to this song with Pusha T and The Cool Kids is even better than the original.  It's definitely worth a download or a purchase off of iTunes.  

- Joel  

Kidz In The Hall - Drivin' Down The Block

No comments: