Monday, June 14, 2010

Hiking

© Joel Thomason
It's been a busy past few days on vacation. Yesterday, I attempted to climb Grays Peak and Torreys Peak (two 14,000 foot peaks) with my friend Blake. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate. After losing the trail (because of the snow not our own incompetence) and battling snow drifts of 3-4 feet up much of the climb, I came down with altitude sickness at 13,200 feet and we had to turn around. I set out again this morning on a solo hike up Buffalo Mountain, near Silverthorne, Colorado where we are staying. The hike required a bit of careful climbing as the "trail" crossed an enormous boulder field. After scrambling from bottom to top of the field over slippery rocks, I once again ran into impassable snow drifts. The trail disappeared, the wind and snow picked up, and I decided to turn around. No use in trying to find a trail covered in 4 feet of snow. I did, however, manage to take a few photos with my iPhone to document the treacherous terrain. Enjoy.

- Joel

Buffalo Mountain © Joel Thomason
Buffalo Mountain © Joel Thomason
Buffalo Mountain © Joel Thomason

1 comment: