Friday, February 11, 2011

Blue Valentine

I saw Blue Valentine tonight, a movie starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams. I'm still not sure what to think about the film. From an acting perspective, it was excellent - overall some of the best acting I've seen in quite awhile. The story was joyful and tragic, evoking a rollercoaster of emotions. Rollercoaster, while overused, has to be the best word to describe the trip you take as an audience member. However, the sexual aspect of the movie was too graphic for me and unnecessary in my opinion. Without the sex, I'd rate it as one of the better movies of the past few years. With the sex, it's hard to recommend.

Anyway, this post is really about the music. The director tapped Grizzly Bear to provide the soundtrack. Most of the score is simply Grizzly Bear's music minus the lyrics, however the band does provide a few original instrumental pieces. The movie reminded me of the intricate nature with which Grizzly Bear approaches it's music. They are a wonderful band. I've added a few tracks from the soundtrack below, including one from Ryan Gosling himself. If you've seen the movie trailer you'll have heard it before.

- Joel

No comments: