Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Year End List

I'm waiting until after Christmas to compile my year-end Best Music of 2008 List. I'm sure soooo many people are waiting in eager anticipation. Actually, I just don't have the money to buy tons and tons of music, so there are a few great albums I am hoping to receive as Christmas presents. After listening to those albums, I'll be able to give a more well-informed opinion. However, as I thought about my favorite music of 2008, I was reminded of what a great music year 2007 was. Here's my Top 10 Favorite Albums from last year:

1. LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
2. Panda Bear - Person Pitch
3. Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga GA
4. Radiohead - In Rainbows
5. Peter Bjorn & John - Writer's Block
6. Kanye West - Graduation (I would have rated this lower looking back)
7. Feist - The Reminder
8. Ben Rector - Twenty Tomorrow
9. Jay-Z - American Gangster (this wouldn't have been in my top 10 looking back)
10. Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

Excluding Kanye and Jay-Z, I still listen to the entire list from 2007 on a regular basis. Though they were in my Top 10 last year, I have grown to appreciate and enjoy these albums even more one year later. Even though writers, bloggers, critics, me etc. love to put out year-end lists, maybe the most useful of evaluation of the year's best music comes one year later when we look at what we still listen to. Just a thought. I wonder what I'll still be listening to this time next year.

Stay tuned for my list after Christmas!

- Joel

No comments: