Friday, October 17, 2008

State Champs

Tonight it becomes official.  The 2001 Liberty High School Boys Basketball Team gets crowned state champions.  As a result of some nefarious activity (read more here or here) on the part of Floyd Irons and the Vashon High School team, the team I co-captained as a Senior is now #1 in the 2001 record books.  It only took 7 years, but better late than never.  That same year, Daniel (the mysteriously absent co-writer of this blog) played for Oak Park High School.  Fortunately, Liberty's multiple victories over Oak Park that year did little to hinder our friendship.  In fact, in college, Daniel and I went back to view old basketball footage from our high school days.  It just so happens that as a sophomore while playing against each other, Daniel kindly reached out a hand to help me up after I had been knocked to the floor.  Though we didn't know it at the time, it would prove to be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Anyway, tonight at halftime of the Liberty football game, we will be honored for our new/old state championship.  I can now say I won a high school state championship at the age of 25.

- Joel

1 comment:

abby! said...

You make me smile....